Saturday 16 June 2012

Light and Fluffy Buttermilk Pancakes

Pancakes - reminds me of Pancake Parlour. The sweet and savoury assortment of pancakes and crepes they have in their menu is sure to convert anyone of us into a pancake lover. I refused to make pancakes from scratch at home for many years. I simply used the Pancake Parlour Pancake mix to make pancakes at home. And man! They were heavenly.

But, I thought, there should be an original recipe somewhere there. Someone must have made the light and fluffy pancakes and the restaurant simply industrialised it to save work for lazy people like me :).

And the hunt began.. I looked high. I looked low. And my hunt came to a stop when I got this recipe from a colleague at work. She has a load of Australian Recipe books that she bought in the 1960s and 70s. I wish I could just rob her off all her books. Maybe she could include me in her will to inherit her vintage recipe books. And I have some other nasty wishes as well - better not to mention them.

The following recipe is adapted from Better Homes and Gardens Bread Cook Book. And I say adapted because I couldn't resist myself from tweaking it a little :). I had to add some vanilla extract because Jamie Oliver always says to do so (I am an 'obedient' follower). And the recipe calls for plain flour but I only had some cake flour in my pantry.

Makes : 12

Prep Time : 10 minutes
Cooking Time: 20 minutes (approx.)

Ingredients
  • 2 cups of cake flour 
  • 1 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 tbsp sugar
  • 1 tsp vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups of buttermilk
  • 2 tbsp melted butter
Method

1. Sift cake flour and baking soda and keep is aside.
2. Beat eggs in a bowl. Then add sugar, salt and vanilla extract and mix well. Then add buttermilk and butter and mix well.
3. Sift cake flour mixture into the wet mixture, little at a time, mixing and making sure that no large lumps are formed. There will be a few small lumps, which can be ignored. However, do not overbeat the mixture.
4. Bake on a hot, lightly greased pancake pan. Turn the pancakes, only once, when bubbles on surface begins to break.

Enjoyed it for breakfast with some homemade strawberry jam.


1 comment: