Caramel and Cinnamon are wicked combinations. It entices you and you cannot stop at one. This is a wonderful autumn cake when the best apples are in season. The crisp weather ensures that we enjoy this warm cake for tea.
For the sauce and topping
• 3-4 Granny Smith apples very thinly sliced apples
• 115g salted butter
• 135g brown sugar
• 1 teaspoon cinnamon
• ½ teaspoon nutmeg
• ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
• ¼ teaspoon dry ginger powder (optional)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• ¼ cup toasted and chopped walnuts/ pecan nuts
For the cake
• 115g unsalted butter
• 200g brown sugar
• 2 large eggs
• ¼ cup milk
• 185g plain flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• ½ teaspoon cinnamon
1. Generously grease a square 8-inch cake pan and line with baking paper at the bottom.
2. Sauce: Melt butter and brown sugar in a medium saucepan until smooth and thickened slightly. Add cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, ginger powder and vanilla. Pour the caramel into the greased cake pan and top with the apple slices while the sauce is still hot. Top with chopped nuts.
3. Cake: Preheat the oven to 160 degree C fan-forced oven. Beat butter and brown sugar until creamy. Add eggs and milk and beat until incorporated. Stir in the flour, baking powder, and cinnamon. Pour the batter on top of the caramel and apple layer in the cake pan.
4. Bake for 45 minutes to 60 minutes (until a skewer inserted in the middle of the cake comes out clean). Let cool for 10 minutes. Invert onto a plate and tap the top until the cake comes out onto the plate.
Serve hot !