Monday 9 July 2012

Thai Green Curry Paste

There are different interpretations of what makes an authentic Thai green curry paste. Experts in Thai cooking advocates using a mortar and pestle with fresh Thai ingredients to make an authentic curry paste. However, I used my mixer grinder to make this paste and made some substitutions and was quite happy with the result.
The recipe I have here is adapted from http://www.thaizer.com. I substituted the galangal with ginger, kaffir lime zest with lime zest and omitted the shrimp paste. To be true to my word, I have used this recipe only once; the first time I ever made a green curry paste. Every other time, I have shamelessly used ready-made Valcom green curry paste available at the supermarket. But it works really well too......
Ingredients
  • 4-6 medium green chillies, chopped
  • 2 Asian red eschallots, chopped
  • 2-inch piece ginger, chopped
  • A bunch of coriander stalks and root, chopped
  • 2 lemon grass stalk, chopped
  • zest of 1 lime 
  • 8 kaffir lime leaves
  • 2 garlic cloves, chopped
  • 1 tbsp coriander seeds, crushed
  • 1 tsp white pepper corn, crushed
  • 2 tsp fish sauce to taste
Method
Grind together all the ingredients to make a fine paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment